Talisman Bracelet; Transformational Art Retreat in Bali with Susan Lenart Kazmer
Making Connections – Altered Surfaces
In this hands-on 5 day workshop, learn my personal metalworking techniques that recently walked the runway in Milan, Italy at Fashion week. Build jewelry by combining layers of altered metal sheet, found objects and a variety of cold join techniques to create layers of negative and positive space to create an unusual wearable charms, Talismans and pendants. Focus on cold joining techniques such as riveting traditional, nut and screw, bundled objects such as a small stack of paper. Also learn how to add height and dimension by incorporating a tubing technique which creates a hollow form.
Add color, layer and style to your metalwork. Learn distinctive methods, formulas and techniques for altering, patterning and coloring the surface of sheet metal. Work with handmade traditional and nontraditional formulas to create colorful patinas and emulate artifacts from a lost civilization. Build dimensional pieces by dapping, folding, forming and cold join manipulation.
Learn clean up and finish work. Attach to a charm bracelet or create a pendant. Multiple pieces will be finished in class. Use of jewelers saw will be helpful.
Students will be focusing not only on practical and necessary jewelry techniques, but also my artistic and spiritual practices as I approach my work. We’ll also be influenced through our interactive experiences of authentic ceremonies and blessings of the Balinese people and their cultural practices.
Are you searching to take your work to a higher level of authenticity and beauty? Do you wish to build sacred Talisman jewelry imbued with not only your talent and skills but your life force energy? Are you seeking inspiration and rituals to help you get out of your head and into your heart?
Join Susan for an intimate mind/body/spirit retreat if you want to:
- Learn her innovative techniques and mastery of jewelry built with resin, metal, wire, organic materials and fibers
- How Susan approaches her work when she creates large sculptural works of adornment and sacred symbology
- Immerse yourself in sacred experiences such as traditional Balinese water and fire blessings to bring in the new and release the old
- Practices to bring mindfulness to your art
- Do all of this and more in one of the world’s most beautiful places
November 9th – 15th 2017
- Seven days and six nights in the village of Ubud in Bali, Indonesia
- Four mornings of art instruction and open studio time each afternoon/evening
- Generous materials kit shipped to your home prior to retreat
- Welcome reception of appetizers and drinks
- Private sacred blessing at beginning of retreat by a local Balinese priest
- Three sacred excursions – water blessing, fire ceremony and Balinese temples
- Five healthy and delicious breakfasts and lunches – Vegan options always available
- Transfers to and from the Denpasar airport (no rental car necessary!)
- Opportunity to invest in yourself and de-stress before the holiday season
- Invite to Private Facebook Group Page with paid deposit. Here you’ll be able to get to know other students prior to the retreat, ask questions and find links to information about Bali.
- Traditional Balinese cottages (resort) are within easy walking distance to the village of Ubud for shopping , art galleries, museums, restaurants and the not-to-be-missed Monkey Forest. After the day’s workshop concludes, you’ll have free time in the evenings for fun shopping and new dining/cuisine experiences.
$500 non-refundable deposit secures your spot. Retreat is intimate and limited to 16 students.
$2,900 per person, standard room double occupancy (twin beds). You will be sharing with a fellow student. Standard rooms are located on the ground floor and include private bathroom and your own front porch.
$3,400 per person, superior room double occupancy (twin beds) You will be sharing with a fellow student. Superior rooms are located on the upper floor (must be able to walk stairs) with en-suite bathroom, private terrace and vast views across the rice paddies.
Early Bird Discount – $200 discount by April 30th with paid non-refundable deposit.
*Limited number of single occupancy rooms available for additional charge. Email Jen at email@example.com for rate.
* All rooms offer their own en-suite bathrooms with a shower and tub and amenities such as: a mini bar, 2 bottles of water free of charge, a coffee/tea maker, soap, shampoo, hair dryer, IDD phone. All rooms have A/C and fans. Wi-fi is available in the lobby and restaurant.
The resort has three separate swimming pools and three open air restaurants serving selections from Indonesian and European cuisine. Special Balinese dishes may be prepared on request. Hot/cold drinks and room service always available. Key features of this beautiful resort are the abundant gardens with picturesque scenery filled with paths and bridges, as well as local furnishings and traditional Balinese ornaments decorating the rooms and property. The property is set on 3.5 hectares of land and filled with rice paddies. Guests may simply take a stroll on the grounds to observe the rice farmers working in the fields.
For students who wish to extend their stay at the resort after the workshop has ended, the venue offers several activities for a fee to choose from, such as Balinese music lessons, Balinese dance lessons, painting lessons, wood carving lessons, cooking lessons and how to make a traditional Balinese offering, which the Balinese people do twice a day every day as part of their daily lives.
*Note about Bali and mobility: Indonesia is not regulated like the United State for people with special needs. Please note the necessary and required use of stairs, cobblestone footpaths and bridges at the resort, temples, museums and various excursions. If you have any limited mobility issues, please immediately notify us so we can work with our on ground coordinator to inquire about alternatives.
Airfare not included
A little more about the excursions included in the retreat:
Evening Excursion: Bali – Life is an Offering. Private screening of a beautiful and moving documentary about the Balinese people and their way of life. After seeing this film, you will better understand and appreciate their daily spiritual practices and way of life. This will also give students a deeper frame of reference for your time in Bali and the sacred blessings you’re about to experience.
Excursion: Agni Hotra Fire Ceremony – One of the oldest spiritual healing practices of Hindu rituals is agnihotra, the sacred homa. The spiritual technique is a type of fire worship that was practiced by Indian saints thousands of years back. This ceremony is held to release negative energies and feelings. After lighting the sacred fire, 700 mantras will be sung as objects such as coconut with offerings will be used as an item to focus thoughts and feelings. The ceremony is performed to burn these thoughts and feelings in the sacred fire. The duration
Excursion: Water Purification Ceremony and Temple visit – Since ancient times, sacred rituals have expressed connection between the Heavens and higher consciousness through blessings performed in the sea, rivers or natural outdoor lidos. As we undergo the purification ceremony, a mantra and a prayer will be led by a Balinese priest to wash away anything which no longer serves us. After the ceremony and temple visit, we will enjoy a delicious three-course vegan lunch. Wine or mixed drinks available at restaurant (alcohol not included).
A beautiful place to immerse yourself in the sacred and create meaningful jewelry with an incredible teacher… this is a workshop that is life-altering.
Have you ever had a Once Upon A Time, Once In A Life Time experience . . . one you thought you ‘d never have?
That is what going to Bali with Susan Lenart Kazmer Bones, Stones & Sacred Jewelry Art Retreat was for me.
It’s hard to express how extraordinary it is to take class from Susan and be in Paradise, and to express the sisterhood that developed between all of us who were together, creating together. Not that brothers are not welcome, too!
We learned amazing techniques not only pertinent to the exquisite collars and Talismans we created, but that took all of our creative skills to a new level. The spirituality and sacredness of nature, the Universe, our Creators, and joy that infuse Susan’s work also became part of our work.
We took part in fire and water blessing ceremonies that were literally life-changing.
-Dawn Jeffory Nelson